Wednesday, July 11, 2012

Angels Everywhere

When I first learned that my Qatar application has been approved, mixed emotions again hovered. It would mean adjusting to the humid weather one more time, exposing to a somehow-restricted culture, and new groups of people to mingle with.

It was not as frightening as my first flight though so I know that somehow, life in Doha will not be as life-changing as what I have been through in Riyadh.

I breezed through NAIA without any issues except for the one-hour delayed departure. I was able to stretch out and spend 4 hours at Bahrain International Airport before enplaning to Doha International Airport.

Tired and hungry, I literally dragged my luggage to get to the designated building. And there they were, 2 angels in disguise. They patiently waited for my arrival to help me get to my room and prepared dinner for me! They literally adopted me for a week until such time that I could go out and buy my basic needs - food, utensils, toiletries.

My three flatmates are also kind fellows. Upon learning that they already have a neighbor at room D, they greeted me and told me there is no rush to buy utensils as I could use their things at the kitchen. They also offered to share their wireless internet connection and cable TV unless I see the need to get my own.

At the HR office, a Filipino was in charge of the new staff. He is warm and accommodating - I never felt that I'm in a foreign land.

When I went to the designated bank to open an ATM account for my salary, the pleasant Qatari lady courteously told me that the request has been denied because of changes with the bank's policy. Even before I could raise a single question, she was already on her feet ushering me to the office of the Assistant Bank Manager and told me to talk to him because he is a Filipino. And voila, I got my current account opened in an instant!

To these wonderful people who have been heaven-sent, thank you so much and may your tribe increase!


No comments:

Post a Comment